Sat 9 & Sun 10 Feb / Introduction to Jewellery Making Intensive
or make 4 interest-free payments of $173.75 AUD fortnightly with More info
This course is for those interested in learning basic jewellery making skills.
You will be introduced to key jewellery design concepts and the techniques for working in metal including piercing, sawing, filing, drilling, annealing, soldering, hammer and stamp texturing, bezel setting and polishing/finishing techniques.
You will also learn how to use all of the tools in our well equipped studio including a rolling mill.
You will walk away from this weekend course with a hand forged / metal stamped copper piece and a sterling silver ring set with a cabochon gemstone.
- Safety in the workshop
- Using studio tools (bench shears, rolling mill, hand tools, dapping & doming blocks etc)
- Using a jewellers saw & file
- Shaping metal using hammers, pliers and hands
- Texturing metal using hammers, stamps & punches
- Introduction to the hand held mini torches / Smith torch demonstration
- Soldering and appropriate solder choice
- Selecting your cabochon & creating a bezel
- Shaping up a bezel & soldering it ready for next week’s lesson
- Ring sizing (jewellery math)
- Shaping your ring
- Soldering your bezel to your backplate
- Soldering your ring to your backplate
- Setting your cabochon
- Polishing and finishing techniques
WHAT TO BRING
- Visual journal and pencil / any design ideas you may have
- A cabochon (we also have some available for purchase on the day)
- Please wear closed in shoes and have long hair tied back
- Please bring an apron or wear old clothes
- This class runs from 10am-3.30pm on both days.
- Tea, coffee, biscuits and sandwiches are provided
Sat 19 Jan / Organic Objects in Metal Workshop
In this fabulous 3 hour workshop, we will learn to create shape templates out of metal sheet and then hammer, texture, roll print and forge the metal to create beautiful...
Sat 3 Feb / Spinner Ring Workshop
Learn how to make a sterling silver 'Spinner Ring' featuring a range of different textures and metals (brass and silver) as well as decorative elements such as flowers and love...
Thurs 14 & 21 Feb / Wax Carving & Casting
Carving wax is a wonderful technique for creating jewellery. Rich textural surfaces and fluid, curving shapes can be created in wax material that can then be cast into a variety...
Sat 9 & Sun 10 Mar / Introduction to Jewellery Making Intensive
This course is for those interested in learning basic jewellery making skills. You will be introduced to key jewellery design concepts and the techniques for working in metal including piercing,...