Sat 2 & 9 June / Introduction to Jewellery Making
This workshop is held over two consecutive Saturdays. It has been developed for those interested in learning basic jewellery making skills.
You will be introduced to key jewellery design concepts and the techniques for working in metal including piercing, sawing, filing, drilling, annealing, soldering and polishing.
You will walk away from this weekend with a few finished pieces including a silver ring set with a cabochon gemstone as well as a good foundation for the understanding of the jewellery making process.
This workshop runs from 10am-3.30pm on both Saturdays.
- Safety in the workshop
- Using studio tools (bench shears, rolling mill, hand tools, dapping & doming blocks etc)
- Using a jewellers saw & file
- Shaping metal using hammers, pliers and hands
- Texturing metal using hammers, stamps & punches
- Introduction to the hand held mini torches / Smith torch demonstration
- Soldering and appropriate solder choice
- Selecting your cabochon & creating a bezel
- Shaping up a bezel & soldering it ready for next week’s lesson
- Ring sizing (jewellery math)
- Shaping your ring
- Soldering your bezel to your backplate
- Soldering your ring to your backplate
- Setting your cabochon
- Polishing and finishing techniques
WHAT TO BRING
- Visual journal and pencil / any design ideas you may have
- A cabochon (we also have some available for purchase on the day)
- Please wear closed in shoes and have long hair tied back
- Feel bring an apron or wear old clothes
Sat 26 May / Claw Setting Unusual Objects Workshop
In this one day Intermediate workshop taught by Sunshine Coast Jeweller Susan Ewington, we will learn to create and troubleshoot setting designs for unusually shaped found objects such as beach glass...
Wed 6th & 20th June / Wax Carving & Casting a Gem Set Ring
Carving wax is a wonderful technique for creating jewellery. Rich textural surfaces and fluid, curving shapes can be created in wax material that can then be cast into a variety...
Sat 16 June / Enamelling Workshop
In this fun, one day workshop, learn to work with liquid and powder enamels on copper or silver. We will be using torch and kiln firing to finish our pieces. Create...
If you want to start a new project but perhaps lack confidence or knowledge on how to get started, require some problem solving on an existing piece or you just want to boost your...